Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Last night I got to do something which is a true rarity for me. I spent an uninterrupted 30 minutes with my 13 year old son. Granted, those 30 minutes were commute time to and from his 8th grade band concert,  but still....

We laughed A LOT. He was in hysterics over the rant I had while driving behind Grandma Moses. We joked and teased each other, listened to some Journey in the background and sang along. He was a pleasure and joy to be around. For 30 minutes we didn't butt heads, didn't become frustrated with each other and didn't talk about anything except what HE wanted to talk about - it's the best 30 minutes I've spent in weeks.

I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes I forget he's only 13. I catch myself thinking, "Why can't he just..." Well, DUH! He's a 13 year old boy - of course he's got a little attitude, a touch of smart mouth and can be stubborn as a mule. Isn't that the definition of teenager?! Last night was a reminder that he is also really funny, musically talented and a great kid.

It doesn't happen nearly often enough, but last night I got half an hour with my 13 year old son without interruption, arguing, or nagging. Today, I'm hoping and praying that those 30 minutes will be enough to remind him that even when I'm eye deep in meltdowns, homework help and housework I never seem to get done that he will always have a place in my heart that is his only - he is my firstborn, the child who made me a mother, and is truly a very loved, appreciated and wonderful son.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you....he is a blessing, isn't he? Savor those 30 minutes...you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a note or comment about Swimmin' in Alphabet Soup. I love hearing from you!